Tram workers stumbled on what at first appeared to be a centuries-old murder mystery when they discovered the human bones during pipe-moving work in Leith.
It soon became clear that it was not one isolated burial. There were around 290 skeletons lying just outside the churchyard at South Leith Parish Church. Archaeologists believe they are part of a former graveyard, attached to an earlier church on the same site. They have lain undisturbed for more than 500 years, even when what is now Constitution Street was built over them in 1790.