University of Cambridge digitizes Anglo-Saxon manuscripts
Published on April 30th, 2010 | by Admin5
The Parker Library was entrusted to the College in 1574 by Matthew Parker, Archbishop of Canterbury under Queen Elizabeth from 1559 until his death in 1575, and one of the primary architects of the English Reformation.
From today, the Library’s treasures have been made available online to anyone with access to the Internet at http://parkerweb.stanford.edu.
Within newly constructed vaults, the Parker Library holds more than 550 manuscripts including the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, the earliest history written in English, and the sixth-century St Augustine Gospels – used at the enthronement of the Archbishops at Canterbury.