Cleopatra may have died from a drug overdose
Published on June 30th, 2010 | by Admin2
‘She probably took a cocktail, which, back then was a well-known mixture that led to a painless death within just a few hours whereas the snake death could have taken days and been agonising.
‘We consulted eminent zoologists and toxicologists; a snake bite would have been too uncertain and taken too long.’
Dietrich Mebs, one of those poison specialists, said he thought the drug cocktail was ‘much more a favourite than the snake. She would have had to drink it because there was no method of injecting oneself at the time.’
The programme displays ancient texts that record the potion as being a popular method of suicide – and assassination – at the time she lived.