Archaeologists in Scotland have begun excavations at Old College in Edinburgh where Lord Darnley, Mary Queen of Scots’ second husband, was murdered. The case remains a mystery to this day.
The house where Darnley had been lodging, about half a mile from his wife at Holyrood Palace, was associated with the Collegiate Church of St Mary – commonly known as the Kirk O’ Field.
The remains of the buildings have been buried beneath Old College, part of Edinburgh University, for more than 200 years.
The University of Edinburgh was granted the site in 1583 and work on the present-day Old College began in 1789.
But now, ahead of refurbishment work on the Old College quadrangle, archaeologists have been given a rare opportunity to excavate the site.
Key finds associated with the Kirk O’ Field site, including several bodies which had been interred in the graveyard, have already been uncovered.