In 1823, the site was purchased by the British government prior to the establishment of a significant military presence in the area in 1826 for the construction of the Rideau Canal. Around 1889, a large brick house known as the Devlin residence and various outbuildings were built on the site overlooking the river and escarpment — part of an area known at the time as Upper Bytown.
The house was demolished in 1938 to make way for the Supreme Court building.
During the dig, the foundation of the Devlin house and thousands of “domestic items” were found.
Public Works Canada intends to rehabilitate Cliff Park and possibly install some interpretive signs in the area.