Remains of 18th century plantation unearthed in Virginia
Published on February 2nd, 2012 | by Admin0
In 1783, Thomas Fearn — one of the original trustees of the Town of Danville — began acquiring property in that area, ultimately owning more than 1,200 acres. By 1823, the property had changed hands and his descendants had scattered around the country. Now, the only signs left of the Fearn family at the site are foundations and some bits of floors for the main house, what appears to be a separate kitchen, barns and other outbuildings, slave quarters, a cistern, a well and outhouses.
The only sign of a cemetery is one simple headstone that reads “Fearn Burying ground” and depressions in the ground that indicate there could be as many as 100 graves at the site, according to Lyle Browning, the investigative archeologist handling the site studies for the IDA.
Story: Denice Thibodeau, GoDanRiver.com | Photo: Steven Mantilla