16 century defensive ditches uncovered in Scotland
Published on April 23rd, 2012 | by Admin0
With much of the former fortifications now built on, this section provides one of the best opportunities to learn more about the extensive defences built by Mary of Guise in 1548 when she moved the seat of government to Leith.
The fortifications enclosed most of the area now bounded by Bernard Street, Constitution Street and Great Junction Street and a small stretch of the west bank around Sandport Place. The defences were constructed to withstand the siege of Edinburgh and Leith by English forces in 1548/9.
Story: Kirsty Topping, Deadline | Photo: Deadline