Pocotalaca and La Puenta are two of six Spanish missions that once surrounded St. Augustine. From 1717 to 1752, the Pocotalaca site was home for a small group of the Yamassee, a Native American group that came to Florida from South Carolina.
Their houses would have been huts of pole and palm frond construction. A small church was at the mission as well as a building that could serve as a casa fuerte or fortress. Franciscan friars served the missions.
Story: Marcia Lane, The Florida Times-Union | Photo: Florida Times-Union